||Carlow College, St Patrick's
Contract type: Fixed term - 2 years full-time
Function: Marketing and Communications
Hours of Work: 5 days per week
Reporting to: Assistant Registrar
Carlow College, St. Patrick’s
Carlow College, St. Patrick’s is a small third level College specialising in degree level education in the Arts, Humanities and Social Care areas. The College has a rich tradition of education since its establishment in 1782. Its historic campus close to the centre of town offers an ideal learning environment. The College has a strong reputation for the quality of its education, based on small class sizes, an engaging and research active faculty, with strong academic supports for students. Currently it delivers degree programmes involving the disciplines and fields of English Literature, History, Philosophy, Theology, Psychology, Social Care and Social Studies, and Citizenship and Community Studies. At postgraduate level, a professionalising Masters is offered in Therapeutic Child care. Additionally, it has an international programme attracting students from a number of Colleges in the United States. Student enrolment is around 500.
The College is now embarking on a 5-year strategic plan to strengthen its operational capacities and to increase its student enrolment. The Marketing and Communications function will play a key role in the achievement of this plan through developing and communicating the College’s marketing message, building and engaging the College’s student and stakeholder base, and creating effective strategies that will promote the long-term growth of the College.
The College now seeks to appoint a Marketing Manager to lead this function and ensure the communication of the College’s message to prospective students, and to local, regional, national and international stakeholder groups.
The Marketing Manager will create and execute a brand message and a multi-annual marketing plan, thereby ensuring the College, its educational programmes, and all related activities are promoted effectively and attain the utmost stakeholder engagement.
The Marketing Manager will report directly to the Assistant Registrar.
- Create and execute an approved Branding Plan for the College in support of its strategic aims and with reference to the stakeholder groups of the College.
- Create and execute a multi-annual Marketing Plan for Carlow College, St. Patrick’s which drives student recruitment.
- Negotiate and monitor Marketing budget requirements.
- Prepare, manage the publication of, and ensure the effective distribution of the College’s Prospectus and related material in co-operation with Programme Board Chairs, Admissions, V.P for Academic Affairs and Registrar, President and relevant staff members.
- Develop the relationship between the College and the College Alumni.
- Identify and source good sponsorship opportunities to promote Carlow College, St. Patrick’s.
Communications / PR
- Map key stakeholder groups of the College and develop a communications strategy to support the College’s engagement with these groups.
- Ensure that local media opportunities are realised, by preparing and supplying advertisements and editorial copy to local and regional press and radio as budgets permit.
- Negotiate advertising and promotional agreements with relevant media.
- Create and distribute a regular staff newsletter to keep all staff up to date and to reinforce organisational culture.
- Ensure marketing is familiar with ongoing and important community events to ensure that where possible Carlow College, St. Patrick’s is represented and/or utilised as a centre for activities.
- Design and produce both external and in-house marketing materials to be of visual impact and within brand guidelines.
- Liaise with relevant internal/external personnel to ensure social media, websites, etc. are fully utilised to further promote Carlow College, St. Patrick’s.
- Provide relevant literature to internal departments to support the promotion of their services.
- Attain utmost promotion/PR, and ensure maximum participation from the College community by managing the marketing activity at all College events, conferences, activities, etc.
- Liaise with relevant staff members and students to support and ensure their active participation and involvement in promoting Carlow College, St. Patrick’s courses, events, conferences, etc.
- Collaborate with the School Liaison Officer (SLO) on all written and promotional material to ensure Carlow College, St. Patrick’s agreed marketing message is consistently and accurately delivered.
- Attend certain promotional events (e.g. Career fairs/exhibitions) with the SLO.
- Collaborate with the SLO in organising the annual Open Day.
Qualifications & Experience
- Recognised 3rd level qualification in marketing or related area.
- 5+ years’ experience of management in a comparable role.
- Record of achievement in the design and execution of marketing plans.
- Operational knowledge of marketing within the educational sector would be advantageous.
- Good working knowledge of social media’s role and its related tools within marketing/promotional activity.
- Being fully competent in Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop is desirable.
Skills & Competencies
The candidate must be able to demonstrate their capacity in the following areas:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all College departments.
- Strong communication skills i.e. verbal and written.
- High level of initiative, supported with a positive and flexible approach.
- Ability to generate plans and effectively manage projects/initiatives.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Creative with good attention to detail.
- Demonstrate the ability to self-manage.
This job description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
*Please note that all applicants should consider the following questions when submitting their application:
- Do you hold a recognised 3rd level qualification in Marketing or equivalent?
- Do you have at least 5+ years’ experience of management in a comparable role?
- Does your current and / or previous work experience meet the requirements of the role? If so, please explain in your cover letter.
*Please note that as part of Carlow College, St. Patrick’s recruitment policy, it is a condition precedent that all offers of employment are subject to two satisfactory employment reference checks and evidence of qualifications.
Carlow College is an equal opportunities employer.
Candidates should submit their C.V and covering letter specifically outlining how their qualifications and experience fits the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for applications is 24th February 2017.