What is the course about?
Design Thinking is an iterative process that focuses on understanding users’ needs; challenging assumptions; and redefining problems.
Design thinkers approach challenges from a human point of view by:
1) Identifying the right delivery tools to build empathy and better understanding of users
2) Thinking creatively and collaboratively to inspire new ideas
3) Testing and validating ideas and prototypes
This programme will build the student’s understanding of design thinking and enable them to develop a deep understanding of customer wants and needs and apply this understanding to real world situations.
In recent years the growth of social, mobile, analytics and cloud based solutions has driven a more customer-centric development focus. Customer-led, rather than product-led insights should be integrated early in the innovation process to help accelerate adoption and optimise business success.
This course will build the participant’s competence in applying collaborative, learning, and problem-solving approaches based on deep consumer research and testing. Participants will strengthen their skills in gathering information, identifying challenges , refining ideas as well as generating and testing potential solutions.
Ultimately, the ability to unlock fresh and unique insights that address unmet customers’ needs will be key to driving competitive and sustainable market advantage.
What will participants learn/achieve?
On completion of this module, the student will be able to :
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of UX & Design Thinking.
- Undertake critical application of Design Thinking, demonstrating an appreciation for the link between consumer research and innovative solutions.
- Understand the applications of each of the Design Thinking steps, and implement design thinking philosophy to appropriate aspects of marketing practices.
- Critically reflect on current problems, new insights and future trends in developing new products and services and the impact of technology on human behaviour.
Who is it for? Career stage?
- Competency Framework: Career Stages 2,3 &4
- Mid to senior level
- Prospective students will be those looking to step up in the business world.
- Individuals seeking a career changer or those who are reviewing their career, in order to progress to a more senior level.
This Executive Diploma is designed to build the students’ understanding and practical application of the innovative and design decisions that are led by uncovering and empathising with the needs and wants of customers.
It will be delivered through a blended approach of lectures, case studies and assignment work. There will be an emphasis placed on the importance of conducting consumer research, implementing insights into design and innovative solutions.
An industry consultancy project is used to assess this programme and students will be set a challenge from an industry partner. They will be required to present their solution based on Design Thinking techniques to peers, and a panel of Design Thinkers.
The Diploma is a Level 8 CPD Award on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) and the award is made by Technological University Dublin, a member of the European University Association.
What is the price?
- Member Price: €1,000
- Non-Member Price: €1,300
- Corporate Partnership Training Credit of €500 maximum can be used as payment for this course.
Want to Know More ?
Classes will take place online 6-8pm on the following Thursdays
November 10th, 17th, 25th
December 1st & 8th
January 12th & 19th ( Presentation )
Assessment for this programme will be as follows
- 60% Group Assignment
- 40% Individual Reflective Assignment
Please keep an eye on this website page for update and if you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What will you get?
- A fully accredited CPD qualification at Level 8 on the NFQ awarded by TU Dublin
- An Executive (CPD) Diploma delivered over evening sessions, with case studies, additional self-study and laboratory work
- Exposure to leading and respected practitioners and experts
- Principles of UX Design (introductory session on UX & Marketing
- User Research & Persona Development:
- Problem Definition and Ideation
- Usability Testing
- Practical Prototyping: workshop
- Service Design
- Design for Impact (designing experience and society, sustainability issues, dark side of UX, etc)
Marketing Competence Framework
- Marketing Strategy
- Corporate Communications
- Customer Centricity
- Commercial Awareness
- Decisions & Judgment
- Project Management
- Communications & Interpersonal Skills
- Developing People
- Team Building
- Relationship Management
Programme Manager, School of Marketing, TU Dublin
Jade Kim is the programme manager for our MSc in Digital Marketing & Analytics. She also teaches our Executive Diploma in Strategic Digital Marketing, where she lectures on Design Thinking & Strategic Digital Marketing.
Jade has has a Masters in Business Administration, StrategicMarketing & Management from Grenoble Ecole De Management. She is currently completing her PhD with a focus on Identity, Change, People and Organisations Working towards or Playing with Identity.
An important note on accreditation
As the professional body for marketing in Ireland, the Marketing Institute recognises the importance of academic accreditation. That’s why we have teamed up with TU Dublin, Ireland’s largest marketing educator, to jointly operate this Executive Diploma programme. Accreditation speaks to a sense of public trust, as well as to professional quality.
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions apply. Membership is non-transferable and non-refundable. All event and course cancellations must be made 2 weeks prior to the event/course date. Payment is due in advance. Refunds will not be issued for non-attendance.