Introduction to Marketing Pathways Toolkit
The Marketer Pathways toolkit is a way in which you or your team can understand what is required at each marketing career stage, identify where you or they are on the career journey and assess what needs to be done next. Assessments can be made yourself at current levels, or where you or your team would like to get to, which will lead to the creation of personalised development plans.
- Understand what is required at each marketing career stage
- Identify where you are on your career journey
- Assess what you need to do next
- Develop a plan of action
The first part of the toolkit brings you the Pathways Competencies. Here we highlight three Competency Sections;
In order to consider yourself an expert in marketing, you must also have a deep understanding of the wider world of work; a core knowledge in business and people matters, regardless of your role, sector or specialism, or business.
Each competency is described at 5 levels of expertise from basic to exceptional, which should closely align with marketing career stages from Graduate to CMO or Board Level. Using this structure, you can assess the competency level you should be demonstrating, developing and aspiring towards, at every stage of your career in order to achieve success where you are or to reach the next level.
The Act and Achieve checklist
REVIEW – During this first stage time should be taken to reflect and plan.
- Review the Career Stages chart and try to plot your current stage
- Review the Competency Framework to understand the structure of the model
- Follow the GROW model and answer the questions honestly and critically
ASSESS – this second stage allows you assess your current strengths and development needs
- Using the Career Stages sheet aim to target your next move or final ambition
- Using the Competency Framework select the competencies you’ll need to develop
- Using the example Role Profiles to help identify the competencies and learning experiences that you will need and that you will develop
PLAN – here you will start to make plans to close gaps or develop in areas identified
- Here you will complete the Development Plan template
- Using the 70:20:10 model you will be able to build the development actions in a structured way focussing on:
- Who can help you, with Mentoring or Career Conversations
- What Learning experiences you’ll need “on the job”. Typical Learning Experiences are highlighted on the Role Profiles
ACT – now you need to act on the development items
- Checklist to help you stay on track ( timelines, someone to keep you accountable, etc)
ACHIEVE – get ready for success
- Checklist , Go back to review step, check against grow model etc…..