Alumni Relations Manager
Department: Development - Alumni Relations, Fellows and Members
Tenure: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Ardilaun House, 111 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2
Reporting to: Director
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
RCSI was founded by Royal Charter in 1784, to set and support professional standards for surgical training and practice in Ireland. This noble surgical heritage continues to shape our approach to education, research and service. At its very essence, surgery is the most exacting of disciplines, demanding professionalism, precision, skill and expertise at the highest level.
Today RCSI is an innovative, pioneering international health sciences education and research institution with undergraduate and postgraduate schools and faculties across the health sciences spectrum and is ranked in the top 250 institutions worldwide. We are home to numerous healthcare institutes as well as leading research centres driving pioneering breakthroughs in human health. Located in the heart of Dublin, with 4 international campuses and a student community of over 60 nationalities, we have an international perspective on how we train tomorrow’s clinical professionals today.
RCSI is an independent, not for profit body and is committed to institutional independence, service, academic freedom, diversity and humanitarian concern. Our independence enables us to chart our own course in service of excellence in human health. Placing the patient at the centre of all that we do; our values of respect, collaboration, scholarship and innovation unite and direct our purpose.
About Alumni Relations:
RCSI Alumni Relations Office engages with the College’s 18,000 alumni across 97 countries through a varied programme of events and communications. This year, as an example, the team managed over 20 events in Bahrain, Dubai, New York, Toronto, Boston and Norway as well as the annual Alumni Gathering, attended by more than 400 alumni, in Dublin. The team is also responsible for several significant print publications (60 page Alumni Magazine) and increasing communication with alumni through eNewsletters, and social media.
The Alumni Relations programme is well established but presents further opportunities to grow.
About the Role:
The Alumni Relations Manager provides leadership for an alumni relations programme that supports and drives the mission of RCSI. The role is responsible for the overall management of the Alumni Relations Office, including strategic planning, fiscal management, people management, and programme development. The overarching focus is on increasing global alumni engagement across 4 international campuses in support of the College’s strategic priorities including delivery of a comprehensive alumni events and communications plan, establishing and managing alumni led programmes and developing mentor networks.
The successful candidate will:
- Devise, deliver and manage a targeted and collaborative engagement strategy for RCSI’s 18,000 international alumni across all 4 campuses and 97 countries.
- Oversee liaison between assigned contacts for Alumni Relations across the international campuses as well as within all Dublin-based schools to initiate and drive ongoing alumni engagement activities.
- Partner with internal departments to develop and improve the student-alumni journey as follows:
-Student Support (CoMPPAS) to plan the growth and accessibility of career networking services for students and newly-graduated alumni;
-Student Services to engage students in alumni events and initiatives, and vice versa;
-SARA to ensure accurate receipt of student information at graduation; and
-Admissions to involve alumni in the recruiting and admissions process
- Create, manage and implement a suite of alumni engagement activities to be “For Alumni, About Alumni”, including but not limited to:
-Significant annual programme of 20+ events, reunions and activities, both in Ireland and internationally;
-Communications and publicity, including print (annual RCSI Alumni Magazine), online publications (monthly eNewsletter) as well as bespoke communications per campus and school;
-Website and social media, including development and maintenance of the alumni web section (rcsi.ie/alumni) as well as driving alumni-specific social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube);
-Benefits and services, linked with other areas and resources within RCSI; and
-Innovatively using new technologies and platforms to develop additional global alumni engagement opportunities
- Lead and develop strong volunteer networks - Ambassadors and Chapters - worldwide to support both alumni engagement and RCSI.
- Represent RCSI at alumni and other external events and meetings, both in Ireland and internationally.
- Manage and develop team of two Alumni Officers, allocating tasks and monitoring progress; as well as supervising, motivating, training and promoting their ongoing career development.
- Manage the alumni database; capturing contact, biographical and career information via surveys, innovative initiatives, correspondence, website, postal returns, etc. to ensure data is accurate, complete and fit for purpose.
- Manage the Alumni Relations budget and tailoring the Alumni Relations programme to the available resources as well as monitoring expenses and income against that budget.
- Qualified to a degree level; eg degrees in business, marketing, social science.
- Knowledge of the higher education sector, and an in-depth strategic understanding of the pivotal role that alumni can play in meeting strategic objectives.
- A strong people manager, with the ability to develop, network and influence positive and collaborative relationships with senior management and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable programme or project management skills with the capacity to organise and complete multiple tasks simultaneously whilst maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Significant 3+ years of management experience within a marketing, communications and/or relationship management role, with expertise in publication production, major event management and digital media campaigns.
- Proficient in database and CRM technologies (Raiser’s Edge / Microsoft Dynamics CRM or similar).
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and a proven ability to empathise and listen.
- Proven ability to deliver agreed targets, and manage an annual budget.
- An understanding of the Data Protection Acts/GDPR and its impact on communications.
- Experience of working internationally.
Applicants can apply with a Cover letter and CV through the RCSI Careers website (https://rcsi.ie/careers) Monday 17 December 2018.
Candidates will be required to prepare and deliver a presentation as part of the interview process. The presentation brief will be provided to candidates in advance.
Informal enquiries can be directed to Aine Gibbons, Director, by email at
Note: This Job Description may be subject to change to reflect the evolving requirements of the Department and RCSI.
RCSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or race.
Similar vacancies that arise in the next 6 months may be filled from the pool of applicants that apply for this position.